Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pick one of your GCSE/IB subjects...

What sorts of 'knowledge' and/or truths does this subject convey?
(answer as seen in my TOK notebook)

I've chosen Music as my subject, but since it does not convey any truths, I will focus mainly on the types of knowledge that make up this subject.

As there is both practical and theory side to music, both practical and propositional knowledge apply. For example, to play an instrument, we need practical knowledge (the skill to which we play the instrument) in order to do so. However, we also require experiential knowledge in music, as we gain experience through playing/practicing our instrument and performing in front of an audience. It boosts our confidence and therefore we are more likely to improve. For example, when I performed the flute in assembly, I learnt to play freely and concentrate less on the technical side of things as this makes me less nervous. I then realised that I play better with this mind set. Hence from then on, I would always do this whenever I am in the same/similar situation.

Another form of experiential knowledge is through watching concerts, performances or videos and learning from what we see. This direct encounter with music helps us remember what we were taught and we also learn new things through our experiences.

Experiential knowledge in Music helps trigger our memories by reinforcing what we were taught and what we know (our propositional and practical knowledge). Through experience, we play the instrument better, and can also develop our own knowledge.

Theory of music is mostly conveyed through propositional knowledge. We have to be taught the subject or read about it in a book, both of which require information from other people or 'outside'. Playing an instrument also requires propositional knowledge. For example, we have to be taught the skills verbally as well as physically in order for us to understand it. If my teacher merely physically showed me how to play the flute, I might not entirely understand it or play it right as it may be more ambiguous. Our teachers have to give us instructions and directions so we can improve on what we already know.

No comments: